How Do I Return To Canada If My Permanent Resident Card Is Expired?

My Permanent Resident Card expired and I am currently outside of Canada. How do I return to Canada?

If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada and your Permanent Resident Card is expired or you are waiting for the renewal of your Card, you will need to apply for a Travel Document from outside of Canada in order to re-enter Canada as a Resident. A Travel Document will be issued only if you have spent at least 1 day in Canada in the last 365 days.

If the Travel Document is refused, you may submit a Residency Obligation Appeal at the Immigration Appeal Division.