Can I Live In Canada For One Year As A Visitor And As A US Citizen?

As a U.S. citizen, you do not need a visa prior to entering Canada. However, when you do enter Canada, you are allowed to remain in Canada for a period of 6 months as a visitor unless indicated otherwise by the immigration officer. As a visitor, you are not able to engage in unauthorized work. If you wish to extend your stay, you must make an application to extend your visitor status. You must have a valid reason for the extension and you must demonstrate that you will be able to financially support yourself as well as your intention to return to the U.S. upon the expiration of your visitor status. It is best to consult with an Immigration Consultant if you are planning an extended stay, so that you do not experience complications upon application for an extension of your status.